Find Your Local Events

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The McTruth About McDonalds

We all know that obesity is a (*ahem*)growing problem in the western civilized world, and it is easy to blame a number of factors on this serious health crisis. Not enough time to fix healthy meals, long work hours and even longer commutes, and who can even think about exercise? In recent years, print and film media have come out with a couple of shocking documentaries about fast food that may make you want to slow down and take a little bit better care of yourself, however! "Super Size Me" and "Fast Food Nation" both take aim at corporate behemoths like McDonald's that pump out french fries and other greasy fare faster than you can say McWaistline. To make matters worse, the prices are so low (consider for example, McDonald's Dollar Menu), that just about anyone can buy their way to artery-clogging heaven.
Suddenly, I'm not very hungry+

Is there truth behind the claims of FFN and SSM? Or were they simply based on the hype of similarly greedy individuals hoping to rake in their own big bucks at the expense of corporate America? I had to find out for several reasons. McDonald's was my first job, back in the 1980s. Yes, I got to wear the chocolate brown polyester uniform that warmed in a suspicious manner every time I got too close to the fryer. Now that I think about it, I don't recall fire extinguisher training there... On a positive note, I was very proud of my name tag and the three areas for "medals" (bronze, silver and gold), for cooking, cleaning and cashier service. Plus, as a bonus, we got free meals at every shift. Pies not included.
When I started my family, the very first corporate logo that my son recognized was - you guessed it - McDonald's. And it wasn't even because we took him there for Happy Meals. I'll be honest, Starbucks was a close second, but I'm guessing that in a dark corporate backroom somewhere are two middle managers (one in green/black and one in red/yellow) arm wrestling for the "build to suit" rights for the last vacant lot kitty corner from the gas station on Main Street USA. But I digress...
If we are going to eat this convenient food, or Heaven Forbid, feed it to our children, shouldn't we know the truth about it? O.K. then, let's proceed. But I am going to warn you... only read on if you think you can stomach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment